Wig From My First About With Ovarian Cancer



First, acknowledge you all so much for your comments. I fairly read all of them and love earshot your thoughts and sentiments. And who doesn't love consecrations/arguments of reassurance? ;)

Now comes the "fun" part: Observing for a wig. I had gave the wig from my first bout with ovarian cancer, obviously never thinking that the cancer would return and hoping another patient could use it during their fight.

I took out the list of New York City wig shops that the nurse had given me and started calling from top to lowest. Some of them had gone out of commercial or were wrong numbers. Some of them required an appointment, but were booked full for a week. And one wig shop charged a fee for every 20 minutes you were there for a consultation.


I Googled that last one, disgusted but curious about the patients' reviews. Sure enough, it was patient after patient complaining about how this particular wig company was taking advantage of people undergoing chemotherapy. One patient said she spent over $150 on a consultation because she wanted to look at another wig store to compare prices.

Most persons don't know the cost of a human-hair wig. I never did. I think most folks would be surprized to find out that most cost anywhere from $1,200 to $3,000, depending on length and origin of the hair. If you want it custom or altered in some way, the price can go up to $5,000!

I got my original wig six years ago from a Hasidic Jewish salon for $1,500. Hasidic Jewish salons are great places to go get wigs, as women in that religion wear wigs once they get married. So, needless to say, they have a ton of experience, along with an amazing selection of wigs.


After getting frustrated with the list of New York City wig shops from the hospital, I went to the place I always go if I'm looking for answers – social networks, baby! I Tweeted and Facebooked asking if anyone knew of a great wig shop in New York. Patients, if you are having trouble with this or have general questions, I would 100 percent suggest putting your question out there on your social networks, as you are bound to receive some sort of answer or guidance.

From my Facebook post and Tweets, I compiled a list of suggestions. I found out that the American Cancer Society, Cancer Care and the Y-ME Organization all give patients free wigs. I also got the names of three local wig shops that sell human-hair wigs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Lace Wigs Store © 2012 | Designed by Sumit Dass